This tart has a flaky pastry crust and tasty filling of leeks, bacon, eggs and cream. Satisfying and delicious, it makes a nice brunch dish, but you can serve it for any meal. —Anneliese Deising Plymouth, MI
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 9 to 11 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 3-1/2 pounds leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute leeks in drippings until tender; stir in the bacon. Stir in flour until blended; set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Transfer to an ungreased 10-in. springform pan. Spoon leek mixture into crust. Trim pastry to 1/4 in. above filling; press pastry against sides of pan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over leek mixture. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes longer. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 352 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Aug 16, 2011
I was scared in making this, but it turned out fantastic. It wasn't soggy as I feared and I was able to use up some leeks from the garden! (I later cheated and used a premade pie shell..still good!)