Leek and Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 medium leek (white and 1 inch of green portion), thinly sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients and add enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter until melted. Stir in cornstarch, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and evaporated milk. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir into vegetable mixture.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Feb 17, 2012
I have prepared this delicious and nutritious recipe for my husband and myself about 5 times now and we love it! I always make a double batch and we eat it for 3 days and don't get tired of it. It's our new favorite soup recipe!
Oct 21, 2010
My fiance and I thought it was really tasty. Just realize that the more water you add, the thinner the soup will be. We also mashed up the veggie mixture to give it a thicker, more consistent flavor.