Lazy Lion Melt
We're not lyin' when we say youngsters will love these open-face turkey and cheese sandwiches assembled from hot dog and hamburger buns.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 carrot slices (1/8 inch thick)
- 3 hamburger buns, split
- 6 slices process Swiss cheese
- 12 ripe olive slices
- 12 pimiento slices
- 6 hot dog buns, split
- 6 thin slices cooked turkey or other deli meat
- 12 slices process American cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 18 potato sticks
- Shredded lettuce, optional
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard; set aside. Cut each carrot slice into three triangles; set aside.
- For each lion, place half of a hamburger bun, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet (three lions per sheet). Spread with a small amount of the mayonnaise mixture. Top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Add two olives for eyes, a carrot triangle for nose and two pimientos for mouth. Position the top half of a hot dog bun, cut side up, below head for body. Spread with mayonnaise mixture. Top with turkey and American cheese, cutting to fit the bun.
- For the tail, slice 1/2 in. from one end of the hot dog bun bottom. Cut remaining portion into four 2-1/4-in. strips for legs. Position the legs and tail with cut side up; spread with mayonnaise mixture.
- Cut one slice of American cheese into strips to fit over legs and tail. Place over the mayonnaise mixture, tucking under cheese of the body.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat until cheese is slightly melted and the lion holds its shape, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle shredded cheese on the end of the tail and around head. Broil 30 seconds longer or until cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Add potato sticks for whiskers. If desired, add lettuce under legs for grass.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 489 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1457mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.