Lamb Chops with Prunes
SINCE I grow my own oranges, I often experiment by adding them to my favorite foods. I found this sweet fruit to be quite compatible with lamb, a meat I often serve. The wonderful orange juice-based sauce is simple to prepare, and its hint of spices really complements the lamb. -Margaret Pache, Mesa, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 lamb loin chops (1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup orange juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 package (9 ounces) pitted dried plums
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a medium skillet, brown chops in oil on both sides; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drain; return chops to skillet. Set aside 1 tablespoon of orange juice; pour remaining juice into skillet. Add syrup, ginger and allspice; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, turning chops once. Add prunes. Cover and simmer until chops are tender. Remove the chops to a serving platter and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and reserved orange juice; add to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Spoon over lamb.