Kielbasa Cabbage Dinner
Spicy kielbasa sausage and plentiful cabbage and potatoes give this dish a pleasing, Old World flair. My husband never liked cabbage before I made this, but now he does! —Romaine Wetzel, Ronks, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large head cabbage (4 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 to 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage in 2 tablespoons butter; remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute cabbage and onions in remaining butter until onions are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, sugar and paprika; pour over cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes and reserved sausage. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.