Key Lime Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 15 min.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated key lime zest
- 1 tablespoon Key lime juice
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Lime slices, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lime zest, vanilla and lime juice. Add flour alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, lime zest and lime juice until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cake. If desired, garnish with lime slices and additional zest.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 575 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 10, 2020
This was one of the worst cakes I've ever made or tasted. It was very dry and heavy and there was little flavor to the cake. I didn't frost it because usually a pound cake can stand on its own--not this one.
Jun 9, 2020
I just made this last night and I think it’s excellent. I did add extra zest and lime juice after reading some reviews and it has wonderful flavor. I think I added about an extra tablespoon of juice and teaspoon of zest (Im not sure because I didn’t measure these ingredients). I’m making the icing this morning and will wait to ice before serving for my Dad’s 83rd birthday dinner this evening.
May 27, 2020
Made this today and followed the recipe exactly. It turned out GREAT! A definite keeper.
May 18, 2020
I made this for the first time ,it is truly a pound cake dense and delicious. Very easy to make, my family enjoyed it. I will tweek it a bit by adding a little more key lime juice.
May 14, 2020
I am not very experienced at baking cakes, but love key lime, and gave this recipe a try. The first thing out of the gate that I noticed was a lack of baking powder and salt. I decided to err on the side of caution and added a standard measure of each. The cake came out dense (which is what pound cakes are), but not much lime flavor. The frosting was excellent, although I "limed" it up a bit and added extra juice. I would bake this again, maybe adding more lime juice to the cake.
May 10, 2020
Something is very wrong with this recipie, very dense maybe missing baking powder or soda, tasteless- a waste of ingredients, the only thing good was the icing.
May 2, 2020
This was a really good pound cake. Dense and moist, very buttery, not too sweet. Full disclosure, I’m allergic to citrus rind, so my cake lacked the lime punch it could have had. I’ve ordered some lime extract/emulsion to see if I get the punch of flavor I was missing. All in all, we liked it, and are always looking for ways to use up our key limes! VFE
Apr 28, 2020
As a Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor, it was a pleasure to give this cake a bake. The recipe is easy and simple. I believe it is supposed to be dense since it is a pound cake so I have no complaint about that. It's buttery in taste/flavor. And I liked the way the outer crust came out a bit crunchy with a creamy inside. Even so, it lacked pizzazz....like what you would expect for a citrus-y baked good. It was hard to detect the lime flavor. I would have increased the amount of rind and perhaps amped up the flavor with lime extract. I love frosting but for most people, I think it would be way too much icing to put on the cake. Perhaps using less would be a good idea or even a lime-y glaze to keep that citrus flavor alive. All in all, I think this is a versatile recipe with a lot of potential to be great. It just needed a few tweaks to take it to the next pound cake level.
Apr 27, 2020
This was exactly what I expected a pound cake to be. Dense, buttery, and full of delicious key lime flavor.
Apr 27, 2020
Bummer. This cake was so dense it was not appreciated. The frosting was yummy. Perhaps something was missing in the recipe?