Italian Vegetable Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces, optional
- 1/2 cup small elbow macaroni
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown beef in large heavy kettle; drain. Add all the ingredients except cabbage, green beans and macaroni. Bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni; bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender. If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese before serving.
Sep 24, 2019
This is a family favorite I've been making for years. It is easy to prepare
Oct 25, 2018
An excellent soup that I have been making for years! I've used it with the beans and at times without them. Either way this soup is delicious!
Nov 11, 2017
I've been making this soup for years. It has become a family favorite. I've taken it to many church suppers and always receive compliments and recipe requests.
May 9, 2016
Best vegetable soup recipe I've found! This will be a regular on our menu.
Jan 17, 2016
Love this soup! I've been making it for my family and friends since the original publication in Country Woman back in 1989! A favorite go-to soup recipe.
Dec 18, 2013
We enjoyed this---easy, tasty and nourishing.
Jan 17, 2013
Easily a family favorite and hearty enough to be the main dish. I use black beans instead of kidney beans and leave out the macaroni. I also use french cut green beans.
Dec 8, 2012
Excellent! My entire family loved it, even my picky 8 year old!
Jan 31, 2010
This recipe is wonderful and easy! I omitted the kidney beans (my family isn't a big fan of kindey beans) and added prepared cheese tortellini on one occasion. Either way, it's delicious!
Apr 13, 2009
I've made this many times - its a delicious soup that family and friends have enjoyed.