Italian Sub Sandwiches
I serve these sandwiches for a special party treat. The red and green peppers add color along with flavor. — Judy Long, Effingham, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 submarine sandwich buns (about 10 inches), split
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook sausage over medium heat just until no longer pink; drain. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cover and cook for until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and oregano. Cover and simmer until tomatoes are cooked, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, hollow out bottom of each roll, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Toast rolls. Fill with sausage mixture.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary.