Italian-Style Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender.
- Stir in lentils, parsley, bouillon, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and salt; heat through. Serve with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 122 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Apr 13, 2020
My husband enjoyed this soup but the rest of the family thought it was "too intense" or too "sweet". I like salt taste for a main dish. It was more like a sweet and sour sauce flavor that you would put on top of something else. Won't make again.
Jan 21, 2020
Followed recipe exactly and was just okay.
Oct 10, 2019
Very tasty indeed. I did use suggestions as others used 32 oz 14.5 oz of beef broth and 1 1/4 c. water instead of beef bouillon granules and 5 1/4 c. water. Also added minced garlic and a dash of thyme. One thing I highly recommend it allowing it to simmer 40-50 minutes instead of 20-25 minutes. My lentils still had a bite to them and didn't realize they weren't fully cooked. Will definitely make again and maybe add Acini di Pepe pasta next time. Thanks for the recipe!
Jan 29, 2019
Very tasty and easy to make. I used a box(4cups) of low sodium beef broth plus 1 1/4 cups water instead of using beef bouillon. I also did as another reviewer and added a clove of minced garlic and a dash of thyme. I did not have fresh parsley so added less of dried instead. I would definitely make again.
Dec 3, 2018
I've been using this recipe for a long time. It is so tasty and easy to make. I always make a double batch and freeze. Enjoy!
Jan 2, 2018
Dec 31, 2017
Wonderful soup! I used homemade turkey broth and added some leftover rice that had been cooked in turkey broth in addition to the red lentils - everything else as per the recipe. Really enjoyed this one and will be sure to make it again!
Sep 27, 2015
Really great flavor! Plan to make again!
Apr 13, 2015
This is one of the better lentil soups I have ever had. It was so easy to make and super cheap to make because I already had many of the ingredients on hand. It is hearty, healthy, and low fat. Very satisfying.
Jan 4, 2015
First time making lentil soup, excellent recipe, I added a couple cloves of garlic and a little bit of tyme.