Italian Sausage Zucchini Soup
My mom used to make this recipe. Whenever I decide to make it, it reminds me of her, taking me back to days of my childhood. —Louise Kline, Fort Myers, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes10 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained, crushed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add celery, onion and seasonings to same pot; cook and stir until onion is tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in sausage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until zucchini and peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.