Italian Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; chop pulp. Place zucchini shells in a large microwave-safe dish. In batches, microwave, covered, on high 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and zucchini pulp over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs and pepper. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Place in 2 ungreased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Bake, covered, 15-20 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with additional minced parsley.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed zucchini halves: 206 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jul 7, 2020
Unfortunately, I had to use dried oregano and basil because I didn't have fresh. But everything else was delicious! I also substituted ground turkey (and added garlic, red pepper flakes, and extra seasonings) and it the whole family loved it!
Dec 29, 2019
This recipe is delicious. I used ground pork sausage instead of turkey links. Also I subbed dried parsley to taste to replace the fresh parsley.
Oct 20, 2019
No comment left
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks! It's very helpful. I stress on the point that when on a new diet, a daily plan is very important Without it it’s too easy to fall for peer pressure, to be unprepared and to make bad decisions. I was one among those people who had knowledge about what to eat and what not to, but didn't have a daily plan to carry me through that critical first month until I came across something called as 28-Day Keto challenge. It's more than a plan, a challenge which guided me every step of my way. Their guidance helped me a lot and now I feel a sense of accomplishment. I notice my skin and hair improve and even can sleep better now. I lost a lot of weight too and I now have that energy which I haven't felt in years. I very strongly recommend you this. Visit https://bit.ly/2X8zIgv
Jul 16, 2018
No comment left
Apr 15, 2018
Apr 4, 2018
I made this recipe for my boyfriend and I, and we loved it. My boyfriend usually doesn't eat "healthy" things, but he really liked this one. It was more filling than it looks! The only downside was the sausage was a little overpowering and didn't get as much zucchini taste. I found some better quality zucchini that were larger so I could save more of the zucchini while still being able to fill with the sausage mix and it tasted better.
Mar 6, 2018
I made this recipe last night, and it was delicious! I used a small melon scooper to remove the pulp which worked out great. And, there's so much moisture in the pulp that it made sense to cook it with the sausage and then drain. This recipe is a keeper!
Sep 11, 2017
Aug 31, 2017
I haven't made this recipe, but it's so close to one that I LOVE I gave it 5 stars. I wanted to add : cut the zucchini in half and microwave, THEN remove the pulp. I also brown the sausage, drain, and then add the seasonings (including some onion.) If doing meatless, saute some portobella mushrooms .