Italian Sausage and Sauerkraut
This is my aunt's recipe. I've made it for many potlucks, and I'm always asked to bring it for church dinners. Even people who normally don't eat sauerkraut enjoy this dish.
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (one 16 ounces, one 8 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 7 to 8 medium potatoes
- 1/3 cup milk
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Paprika and chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add sauerkraut, brown sugar and poultry seasoning; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes until tender; drain and mash slightly. Add milk, pepper and salt if desired; mash until smooth. Spread evenly over sausage mixture; dot with butter.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned. Garnish with paprika and parsley if desired.