Italian Hot Dish
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked multigrain bow tie pasta (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and crumble beef with 1/2 cup mushrooms, onion and green pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in seasonings and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Place pasta in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with meat sauce and remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 394 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 11, 2020
Carbs, carbs & more carbs how is this healthy?
Jun 13, 2020
Why do we need to bake it for 35 minutes after it’s already cooked through? I added water in the summer stage to the tomato sauce to keep it from drying out.
May 23, 2020
First time I made this I made exactly as written. I made it a 2nd. time with some changes because I thought it needed more flavor. I used mild Italian sausage instead of ground beef, added some chopped pepperoni and sliced black olives. I did not put this in the oven. After browning the sausage and onion and green pepper I added the spices and tomato sauce. Simmered for about 20 minutes; covered. Added the pepperoni and olives, stirred. About 10 minutes before serving I added the cooked bow ties. It was more to our liking. My wife said the pepperoni made it a lot better. I agree, also the Italian sausage in place of the ground beef. This is a keeper for us.
May 10, 2020
Great! Will make again. Easy directions. Used fresh onion, chopped but did not use onion powder.
Apr 29, 2020
I made this for dinner tonight but I used Italian sausage instead of hamburger and my husband and I both agree that it def gave more flavor either the sausage. It was very good will make again.
Jan 19, 2020
I made this using Italian sausage and it was great. My husband loved it.
Sep 30, 2019
Aug 7, 2019
This is a great dish for a busy night and satisfies our need for good pasta with a mellow "not too tomatoe-ee" flavor. You can tweak as needed for spicier or not...love it!
Jul 13, 2019
A little cayenne and this is the bees knees.
Jul 13, 2019
Pretty standard baked pasta dish. Very simple to tweak to any family's liking. My husband doesn't like red sauce of any kind so I use an alfredo/ white sauce instead. I love baked pasta either way. Win/Win!