Italian Chicken Meatball and Bean Soup
In North Dakota, it's pretty common for winter temps to fall below zero. Hearty soups like this are a must. —Noelle Myers, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup savory herb or chicken stuffing mix, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine egg, stuffing mix and salt. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake until cooked through, 14-17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; cook and stir until carrots are softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add beans, broth and lemon zest; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir in spinach and meatballs; cook just until spinach is wilted. Stir in lemon juice.