Italian Bread Salad with Olives
This quick and flavorful bread salad always gets rave reviews from my friends and family. This panzanella-style dish is a timesaver during the holidays, as it can be made ahead. Just keep the bread cubes separate and add them right before serving. —Angela Spengler, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (14 ounces) ciabatta bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix oil, garlic and pepper; drizzle 3 tablespoons over bread and toss to coat. Reserve remaining oil mixture. Spread in a single layer on two 15x10x1-in. baking pans.
- Bake until crisp and light brown, 12-18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar and salt into reserved oil mixture. Add tomatoes, olives and herbs; toss to coat.
- Cool bread cubes slightly. Add to tomato mixture; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 316 calories, 21g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 16, 2020
To be honest I didn’t think this sounded that good. But I had all of the ingredients and no other idea. I was surprised how delicious it is. Being able to prepare some steps ahead is a bonus. I will be making it again.