Italian Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, potato and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, parsley and pesto. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Apr 2, 2015
I love this recipe, I've made it as it, w/o the orzo and potatoes and added turkey sausage, and just recently with mild Italian pork sausage and veggie broth cause I didn't have the chicken broth, orzo or potatoes, all 3 versions are a hit with my family. I also add the spinach in each individual bowl and stir to wilt instead of stir it in the pot, that way the leftover spinach in the soup pot, doesn't turn into slime the next day.
Aug 10, 2013
This is one of my favorite soup recipes. The flavor is great and my family loves it. I usually add extra spinach and I use veggie broth instead of chicken to make it vegetarian. I freeze leftovers in individual serving-sized containers so that we have an easy option for taking lunch to work.
Mar 11, 2013
This is a great hearty, healthy soup. I made a few changes to it because I didn't have pesto or Italian stewed tomatoes. I used diced tomatoes with sweet onion and a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasoning. I also left out the potato and added carrot. My 8 year old even loved this recipe.
Feb 13, 2013
Easy to make, very good. I used about 2-3 times the amount of spinach that it called for to give it some extra color.
Nov 28, 2012
I made this soup on the spur of the moment after looking through my 2012 Quick Cooking Annual for a quick and easy bean soup. I had everything I needed to make this and it went over really well here at our house. I did use frozen cut leaf spinach, as that's what I had, and used rice instead of orzo because I don't eat wheat. I will definitely be making this again. A wonderful recipe, especially for a chilly night!
Dec 10, 2011
Excellent flavor. What more is there to say?
Jun 23, 2011
This soup has become one of our family favorites, I made this alot on cold days, very satisfying and everyone loves this soup!
May 4, 2011
This is my new favorite soup!!! I realized after already starting the soup that I used all of my orzo up so I replaced it with barley and it was absolutely delicious! I like orzo and although it is an "italian" soup I think next time I make the soup I will still use barley because it was excellent. I also used italian diced tomatoes rather than stewed and frozen spinach rather than fresh...but regardless the soup was great and I plan to make it many times in the future.
Apr 6, 2011
Apr 1, 2011
I have made this soup twice and shared with friends and co-workers. Everyone has asked me for the recipe. Absolutely love it!!