Israeli Pepper Tomato Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 6 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons each minced fresh cilantro, parsley, dill and mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumber, carrot, green onions, jalapeno and herbs. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the tomato mixture; toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 64 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Aug 24, 2010
I include chopped black olives in my mixture. This reminds me of "Patafla," a Mediterranean salad that it is often used as a meatless sandwich filling. At my husband's request, I omit the mint because he says it is overpowering although, personally, I like it.