Irish Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
Makes15 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dark stout beer or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In a large shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat. Brown beef in the bacon drippings. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, saute the mushrooms, leeks, carrots and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste until blended. Add the broth, beer, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and rosemary. Return beef and bacon to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours.
- Add potatoes. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour longer. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add peas; heat through. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 301 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 441mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Mar 25, 2020
Followed the instructions almost exactly (I don’t always do that). Stew was tasty. A previous reviewer said the bacon taste was too intense. I actually used a lot more bacon (recipe called for 8 strips, but there was almost double that in the pack I bought) and I couldn’t even taste the bacon in the end product, but I’m sure it added flavor. The only thing left out of the instructions is that after you put in the potatoes for their hour of cooking, I felt you needed to stir the pot every 5-6 minutes to keep from burning the stew to the bottom of the pan.
Mar 21, 2020
Best beef stew I've ever made. Super flavorful and comforting.
Mar 15, 2020
Not to our liking. The bacon overpowered most everything else (We have never had too much bacon) Bacon from the US is very different than what you find in Ireland, perhaps that’s the issue
Mar 10, 2020
A new favorite of my family! Easy and filling.
Mar 8, 2020
I would like to see a slow cooker version of this great looking recipe. Please?
Mar 21, 2019
Wow!! This recipe was amazing!
May 16, 2018
This is a fantastic stew - but I adapted it to my Power Pro XL Electric Pressure cooker - If you have an electric pressure cooker do the following: Press the Stew/Soup and cook the diced bacon. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel for later. Saute the meat in batches in the bacon drippings, if needed brown the meat in batches. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, except the mushrooms. Press cancel and repress the Stew/Soup icon. Lock down the lid and cook for 25 minutes. Do a natural release for 10 minutes.Release any remaining steam and open the lid. Press the Stew/Soup icon again. Pour in the cornstarch and water and stir well to mix in. Next add the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Serve in bowls with crusty French bread to sop up the gravy.
Mar 18, 2018
This is our favorite St. Patrick's day dinner. I have adapted it for a slow cooker so I can prep everything the night before and start it cooking when we leave in the morning. By the time we get home the house smells wonderful and we are ready to eat. I also use a lamb roast cut up into stew meat instead of beef. My picky eater loves it.
Jan 5, 2017
Hearty and robust stew with great complexity of flavors! Amazing!
Oct 20, 2016
Loved it - will make again!!