Iowa Corn Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- In a skillet, fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of bacon drippings over bread crumbs; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; saute green pepper and onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the corn, bacon and half of bread crumbs.
- Spoon into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 184 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Aug 7, 2011
This was a tasty meal. However I did make a few changes. I made my own creamed corn listed of using the caned stuff. Next time I'll use 1/2 a cup of bread crumbs. I found using the amount suggested took away from the creaminess of the corn.Cream Corn recipe found here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cream-corn-like-no-other/detail.aspx
Feb 21, 2011
I made this recipe for my family along with some grilled chicken. It was a hit! The whole family loved it. While I won't be making this very often (not being very healthy) it is a good special treat! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Dec 19, 2009
I sometimes mix one can of cream-style corn with one can of either drained regular whole kernel corn or shoepeg corn and a splash of milk. My family prefers it that way. This is a simple but great recipe.
Nov 23, 2009
I made this recipe last year for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit! People are asking for it again this year. It looks like this one will be around for years to come! It is very simple to make but the taste is fantastic!
May 30, 2009
I've made this casserole several times and it tastes GREAT! Everyone loves it. It is a keeper!
Nov 13, 2008
Okay, So how do you have 10 grams of fat when your using a whole pound of bacon, Plus bacon fat??? Did not not try it yet, but I think sombody's math is off.
Mar 17, 2008
No comment left