Indonesian Peanut Chicken Salad
Our former neighbor, a native of Indonesia, made this peanut chicken salad, which she called "sate". My family liked it so much that after she moved away, I had to learn to make it.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 4 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup honey-roasted peanuts
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing
- 2 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, combine the soy sauce, garlic, peanut butter, cilantro and hot pepper sauce; cook and stir until heated through and blended. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Grill 6-8 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Place the salad greens, tomatoes, onions, cabbage, cucumber and peanuts on a serving platter. Slice chicken; arrange over salad.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing and hot pepper sauce. Serve with salad.