Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (110°-115°). In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup boiling water and shortening. Add remaining water, eggs, salt, sugar and yeast mixture.
- Stir in 1 cup of flour at a time, mixing well after each addition, until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into nine portions. Divide and shape each portion into 12 balls. Place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush rolls with half of melted butter; bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven; brush with remaining butter.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 162 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 26, 2019
can i use a regular hand mixer or stir by hand?
Nov 13, 2018
My grandma used to make these during the holidays and they are delicious. I like getting the prep work out of the way the day before. Breadmaking is not my strong suit but these turn out perfect every time.
Nov 6, 2018
Does anyone get pop ups saying you won a google pride? GAD IM SICK OF THESE
Oct 17, 2018
love these rolls
Feb 17, 2014
These rolls are TO DIE FOR! Add on the fact that they're so easy to make, and you've got a winner.
Jan 28, 2013
No comment left
Nov 26, 2012
i made these for thanksgiving and everyone loved it..My 4 year old asked me to make more and i am doing so right now :)
Mar 5, 2011
No comment left
Jun 19, 2010
I admit that I'm not the best bread baker, but this recipe has worked for me every time. My husband gets excited when he walks through the front door and smells these rolls baking. He would be happy if I made them every other day!