Hungarian Treasure (Szekely Gulyas)
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 packages (1 pound each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Hot cooked buttered egg noodles
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown meat. Transfer meat to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and paprika; cook 1 minute longer. Pour over meat. Add
- sauerkraut and water.
- Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 3-4 hours. Stir in sour cream; sprinkle with poppy seeds. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 369 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1181mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 9, 2020
Easy and Awesome!!
Jun 23, 2020
We really enjoyed this. I did tweak it just a bit to fit my busy schedule. Instead of browning the meat and cooking the onion, I put both in the slow cooker raw. I also added one large potato, diced. Instead of using water, I drained the sauerkraut and reserved 1/2 C of those juices instead. We NEVER rinse our sauerkraut - it removes the delicious sour flavor. The layers were pork (cut in half), raw onion, minced garlic, paprika, potatoes, sauerkraut, then pour the juice over top. I cooked for 3 hours, 45 minutes, but probably should have done 3.5. Served it over egg noodles. I forgot the poppy seeds, but we didn't miss them. The dish came out a tad soupy, but again, we didn't mind. I'll be using this one again!
Aug 27, 2019