Huckleberry Cheese Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- BUTTER CRUNCH CRUST:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream or 1 cup whipped topping
- FRUIT TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups fresh huckleberries or blueberries, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Additional whipped cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread on baking sheet; bake at 400° for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven. While mixture is still hot, press into a 9-in. pie plate, forming a pie shell. Cool completely.
- For cheese filling, beat cram cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; gently fold in whipped cream. Pour or spoon filling into cooled crust; refrigerate.
- For topping, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Stir in water until smooth; add 1 cup berries. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and remaining berries. Cool; pour over cheese filling. Top with additional whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 379 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 16, 2020
I used macadamia nuts for the crust. Had to lower the temp to 350 and cooked about 10 minutes. 20 minutes would have burnt. Soooo delicious, though. We used fresh huckleberries that my son picked and it was amazing!
Apr 11, 2020
The butter and nuts in the crust are part of the magic. I used pecans. Watch Crust crumbs while roasting so they don’t scorch. Frozen huckleberries work just great. Hands down my favorite huckleberry dessert.
Aug 31, 2019
I too live in Montana so have a surplus of huckleberries. THIS is possibly the BEST cream cheese pie I've ever had. I just used a graham cracker crust, but I bet the crust in the recipe would have you liking your own ear lobes.
Jun 11, 2018
Is it possible to use frozen huckleberries? Also, can I omit the nuts from the crust?
Mar 19, 2018
No comment left
Jun 4, 2016
I have made this numerous times with blueberries. It is phenomenal! I use walnuts in the crust. When baking the crust mixture, I reduce the oven temp to 350 & only bake it 10 minutes otherwise it would be burnt to a crisp.
Aug 13, 2014
Made this according to the recipe, using fresh picked huckleberries (we live in Montana). It is absolutely one of the VERY BEST DESSERTS I HAVE EVER TASTED!!! I served it at a dinner party and all the guests just loved it! The texture is wonderful - does not fall apart when sliced. I would give this one 10 stars if I could! This one is a must-make!!
Jul 25, 2014
I made this with a traditional pie crust. It was great. Would definitely make again