Hot Spinach Spread with Pita Chips
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes16 servings (4 cups spread)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, cut each pita bread into 8 wedges. Place in two 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Combine the butter, lemon pepper, cumin and garlic salt; brush over pita wedges.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until crisp. Serve with spinach spread.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup spread with 3 pita wedges: 231 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Sep 13, 2019
9/11/2019 I prepared this recipe. I'd used a taco cheese blend which included Monterey Jack cheese! I'd used whole wheat pita breads and 1/4 tsp. each garlic powder and salt for the butter mixture on pita wedges! This is a 5* recipe!
Mar 30, 2015
I made this last week, and I just re-read the recipe before writing the review... I knew I had changed fresh jalapenos for ground dried chipotle (maybe 1/4 teaspoon), but I didn't realize I had completely forgotten the two cups of grated cheese! I omitted the onion because I only had 10 minutes to heat it in the microwave. Apparently it didn't matter that much; everyone seemed to like it! I couldn't get the lemon pepper mixture to stick to the pita triangles; they all fell off and stayed in the bowl, but that didn't seem to matter either. I also buttered some sliced french bread and sprinkled it with garlic and parsley and toasted it with the pita bread, and they were all eaten too. Maybe I didn't exactly make THIS recipe, but I did use it as a starting point. Thanks!
Dec 21, 2013
The spinach spread was very good but I agree the Pita chips are the star attraction with this recipie.!
Dec 4, 2013
This was a hit at our recent family potluck. I bought pita chips, but I'll make them next time.
Mar 28, 2013
No comment left
Nov 19, 2012
No comment left
Jul 13, 2012
No comment left
Mar 25, 2012
This recipe was very tasty, but the pita chips were outrageous. Loved them. I took this dish to a get together and everyone liked the dip but raved about the pita chips. What a delicious flavor. YUM....
Feb 6, 2011
This is a very easy and delicious recipe. I made it as an appetizer for a dinner party and the guests gobbled it up.
Jun 6, 2010
Oh so good! I used reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese and fat free cream cheese and nobody noticed. I didn't make the pita chips...we just used regular pita bread and crackers.~ Theresa