Hot Pot Stew
This full-bodied stew is ideal for chilly rainy days. So I often try—unsuccessfully—to sneak some into the freezer before my family can eat it all! I hope you enjoy it, too.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 cup cubed lean boneless pork (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15.8 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach or turnip greens or 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) spinach or turnip greens, drained
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown pork over medium-high heat. Add ham, green pepper, onion, celery and garlic. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally. Add the next nine ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Add spinach and cook until heated through.