Hot German Potato Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 9 medium potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage or fully cooked bratwurst links
- 6 bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices; saute in a skillet until browned. Drain and place in a large bowl. Drain potatoes; peel and cut into 3/4-in. cubes. Add sausage; keep warm.
- Cook bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Drain all but 3 tablespoons of drippings; saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper; blend well. Add sugar, water and vinegar; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour over potato mixture and stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve warm.
Apr 17, 2014
This is my go to recipe for German potato salad. Love it!! The only thing I do different is add a little bit of chopped hard boiled eggs. I sometimes cook it an extra bit in a casserole dish in the oven, that way it stays good and hot when I take it to a gathering.
Nov 21, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised when I made this for my granddaughter's class. Every time I have tried this from friends I did not care for it. This recipe actually very good.
Jun 29, 2013
I love German potato salad, and this recipe does not disappoint. The only change I made was to leave out the celery seed (not a favorite ingredient). Try it!!
Oct 19, 2012
No comment left
Jan 28, 2007
No comment left