Honey Wheat Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk, water, honey, butter and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 99 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
May 31, 2020
Easy to stir up, especially with the help of a dough hook. It didn't rise as well as the recipe that I have used for over 50 years but the flavor was excellent.
Aug 11, 2016
This recipe is perfect for me. Very easy to make and turns out perfect every time. I added a little more salt to enhance the flavor. But other than that, it's perfect. I've made multiple batches and sliced and froze it and it thaws out perfectly. Our family goes through a lot of bread and it's great to have a wheat bread recipe that I can count on to come out perfect every time. Thanks!
Mar 2, 2014
Family loves this recipe
Jan 22, 2014
I've made this a few times and always find the dough sticky and the bread dry. I won't bother making it again.
Jun 1, 2013
The dough didn't rise like it was supposed to. Not sure if I did something wrong. It doesn't look like the picture at all. But, it tasted good and worked well as toast. The kids also like it. So I will make it again.
Jan 5, 2013
No comment left
Oct 1, 2010
this is a hearty bread and best for a stew. It is not sandwich bread. I baked mine on parchment paper. Next time I would proof the yeast and then add the flour, then the milk mixture and see if it's any better. My husband loved the bread, but again it would be best w/a stew.
Dec 3, 2009
This bread has all the flavor of a whole wheat bread but the lightness and rise-ability of a white bread. Slices beautifully and the recipe is perfect unlike 99% of the ones where I can always improve upon.