Homemade English Muffin Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead.
- Grease two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 83 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 31, 2020
This is an easy-to-make bread and has become my go to when we need bread.
Mar 17, 2020
I made this yesterday and my dough was way too thick to spoon into the baking pans. I followed the recipe but this turned out to be very hard and did not raise much despite extending the time allowed. I am going to use it for croutons so it is not wasted but certainly is not suitable for eating out of hand., Any advice?
Sep 29, 2019
This is an easy, no-knead bread that is also great for sandwiches.
Feb 19, 2016
Been making this for years....very good and easy to make.
Oct 11, 2009
this sounds so easy and good. Can't wait to try it.
Jun 27, 2009
This recipe is so simple! Delicious for Saturday morning breakfast -- with an extra loaf to share with the neighbor!
Dec 20, 2007
No comment left