Homemade Confetti Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- Soft pink paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, then egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in sprinkles.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- For buttercream, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add cream, vanilla and food coloring. Beat until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Frost top of cake with frosting and top with additional sprinkles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 823 calories, 47g fat (26g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (75g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 9, 2020
Great cake and frosting. I didn't change a thing. It came out perfect and everyone loved it. I especially loved the icing. My granddaughters have requested this for their birthday cake. Easy to make. Thanks for the recipe.
Jul 1, 2020
This is a delicious, flavorful and moist cake. i didn't have clear vanilla but the regular vanilla didn't seem to adversely effect the color at all. The sprinkles inside are such a colorful and fun surprise. I made cupcakes so adjusted the baking time a bit. I made 12 regular size cupcakes and 6 jumbo. I had just enough frosting to pipe every one of them. i shared with 4 neighbors and they all raved.
Jun 28, 2020
Nice light fluffy cake. I made my own buttercream recipe.
Jun 15, 2020
I made this and followed the instructions exactly. But at 325 even at 40 minutes the cake was still not done and my oven is accurate. Therefore, it fell. If I make it again I would have it change the temp to start with. I found the flavor of the cake to be over powered by the icing. Probably won't make this one again.
Jun 7, 2020
I'm giving this 5 stars even though I made several changes (didn't want to penalize it with fewer stars just because I didn't want to waste egg yolks and like chocolate better than sprinkles!). I put 2% milk in instead of oil, and 5 whole eggs instead of 3 eggs and 3 whites. Since it has buttermilk in it, I traded out 1/2 tsp of baking powder for 1/2 tsp for baking soda, since the recipe doesn't call for soda and I thought it needed it. I don't like the taste of sprinkles, so I put mini chocolate chips in it, and baked it in a Bundt pan... and all the chips sank to the bottom and mostly stuck to the pan. I put chocolate frosting on it. So I ended up with a good vanilla Bundt cake, with chocolate chips around the top, and chocolate frosting. Yum!
Jun 6, 2020
This is such a delicious cake! I made it just like the recipe says and it is wonderful. The minute I saw the picture, I knew I would have to try it.
Jun 5, 2020
Sounds good ... Has anyone tried this recipe in 2/9” rounds????
Jun 5, 2020
I'm giving this 5 stars even though I haven't made it yet. I'm pretty good at guessing how different ingredients and their proportions will turn out, but it's just an educated guess. I'm leaving soon to go to the store to get the ingredients that I don't have for this recipe and will be making it tomorrow to bring to my visit with my 18 year old son on Sunday. I will be back to give you all the low down on the opinions of my son, myself, and my husband. My son and I love white cake and vanilla buttercream frosting. We like chocolate sometimes but my husband is the chocoholic in this family. He likes white too so I will be giving you fair opinions from 3 people-probably Monday 6-8-20. :-)
May 19, 2020
This is a very easy cake, and tastes so good! It doesn’t take any more effort to make this than it does to make a box mix, but it is so much better, it’s almost unbelievable. This will be my go-to vanilla cake from now on! VFE