Homemade Chocolate Bread Pudding
This is one dessert made with busy yuletide hostesses in mind. It's festive, rich, a cinch to prepare and feeds a crowd!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3-3/4 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 slices day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk, chocolate and salt over low heat, stirring until chocolate is melted; whisk until smooth. In a bowl, beat 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth; add extracts. Refrigerate remaining egg whites. Gradually beat chocolate mixture into eggs. Place bread cubes in a bowl; add chocolate mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Place dish in a 13x9-in. baking pan. Fill pan with boiling water to a depth of 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Beat reserved egg whites and remaining sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon around edges of baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.