Home-Style Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Minced fresh cilantro, parsley, sour cream and/or tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- In a blender, combine 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 can beans; cover and process until smooth. Add to onion mixture.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, remaining beans and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with cilantro, parsley, sour cream and tortilla chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 101 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 786mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 25, 2015
The whole family enjoyed it and that is really saying something! I did blend up all of it except 1 can of beans and the onion and garlic.
Mar 3, 2014
It was much better than it sounded or looked. My husband really liked it. It is a bit spicy.
Oct 15, 2013
Really, really good!!! My husband loved it and that's always my goal! I used only half the cumin (I don't think I could have eaten it with the full amount... would have been too spicy!) and I blended almost two full cans of the beans instead of one. Also threw a little dried cilantro in the pot. I will definitely be making this again!
Apr 15, 2013
I absolutelylove this soup! I used reduced sodium chicken broth instead of the regular brothh. Since I like my soup to be on the thicker side, I don't blend the beans with the chicken broth before adding them. I put everything into the pot and at the end, I use a blender stick to blend the soup. That way you can make the soup as thick as you want.
Nov 11, 2012
Quick, easy, healthy and delicious!
Jan 24, 2012
After making this several times I had a light bulb moment. I think it helped that I had a can in the pantry. So, instead of chopping one of the cans of beans, I used a can of refried black beans. It worked great and tasted delicious. My favorite toppings are cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Nov 18, 2011
I had the best black bean soup at a restaurant in Guatemala last week. This recipe came pretty close.Instead of blending 1 can of black beans I did 2 and added some red pepper flakes.Would make it again for sure.
Sep 30, 2011
This recipe is definitely going into my favorites - my family loved the flavor! I did blend 2 cans of black beans instead of 1 to make the soup just a little thicker. Thanks for a great (easy) recipe!
Jan 26, 2011
No comment left
Oct 19, 2010
This soup has a wonderful flavor, very good. I use my mini chopper to chop the beans 1/2 the can at a time. I think it would be good with cheese &/or rice, two of my favorite soup additions.