Holiday Almond Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup almond paste
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, almond paste and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Gradually add flour just until moistened.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 107 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 15, 2017
This recipe is simple and delicious. I used a 7 oz can of almond paste and baked 30 mins. Turned out perfectly chewy. Will definitely make again!
Dec 23, 2013
I was so excited to try this recipe. Everything went great until I tried to cut them for the cookie exchange I was going to. They were rock solid! I broke a butter knife (a metal butter knife!) trying to cut them and finally had to just throw the entire pan away with the bars still in them. I had to run to the store to buy cookies to take to the exchange.
Jan 5, 2013
I make these for a lot of get togethers, they are now one of my favorites! Pretty easy too!
Aug 16, 2012
OK, so I made this recipe and it is delicious. Now to answer the big question, "where do you purchase almond paste". Well, I solved that by going online to Taste of Home and got recipe for Amond Paste and made my own. Simple, easy, delicious. And WAY cheaper, even IF I could find it in the store.
Aug 14, 2012
I haven't tried these yet, but they look amazing, I love almond paste. Only problem is, I too do not know where to buy it, have looked everywhere.
Jul 8, 2012
No comment left
Feb 28, 2012
Where does one find almond paste?
Jan 7, 2012
Love the almond flavor in these! Big hit!
Jan 1, 2012
This is the best bar cookie I have ever eaten. Will be a must at future holiday events. Thanks!!
Jan 3, 2011
I made with 1 3/4 cups of sugar in the batter and added an almond flavored confectioners glaze while warm instead of the sprinkled sugar. Big hit!