Herbed Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + standing
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (2 to 2-1/2 ounces) chicken noodle soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the rice, celery and onion in butter, stirring constantly, until rice is browned. Stir in the next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley; stir in pimientos if desired.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 226 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Nov 23, 2018
I really liked this. Made as written and it is simple and delicious. I loved the sage flavor coming thru.
Feb 10, 2018
This is wonderful! I've made it dozens of times and each time someone wants the recipe! My husband won't eat any other!
Apr 22, 2016
For me this recipe tasted a lot like stuffing. Yum! I really liked this rice, my husband said it was just alright!
Jan 13, 2016
I prepared this recipe tonight and, wow, is this good!! I followed the recipe exactly and made no changes and we gobbled it down. Needless to say, we will be having this recipe again. Absolutely delicious and so easy I would even serve it to company it is so good. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.
May 22, 2014
A little salty and a little soggy, nxt time I'll use a little less broth. Very good tho!
Feb 18, 2014
I made it for a dinner and paired it with Baked Salmon and got rave reviews from all the guests.
Feb 15, 2013
No comment left
Aug 19, 2012
No comment left
Jul 24, 2012
my kids are not rice eaters, but they love this.
Jun 14, 2012
About to make this a second time in one week! Hubby loved it. I didn't have the soup mix so I subbed a spoonful of chicken soup base, but I bet some chicken boullion granules would work too. Didn't have pimentos either, but this was so good they were not missed!