Herbed Pecan Stuffing
"From Logan, Utah, Edie DeSpain says, "I've updated a basic stuffing recipe by using wholesome multi-grain bread in place of customary white bread. It adds a hearty, crunchy taste."
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 cups cubed day-old multi-grain bread
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 225°. Place bread cubes in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until partially dried, tossing occasionally, 30-40 minutes. Set aside. Increase oven temperature to 325°.Meanwhile, combine raisins and apple juice in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in parsley, salt, sage, thyme, fennel seeds and pepper; remove from the heat. Beat egg and broth; add to vegetable mixture with bread cubes and raisin mixture. Toss well. Stir in pecans. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned, 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 564mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.