Herbed Harvest Vegetable Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 40 min. + standing
- 4 new potatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 sweet red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Grease a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish and arrange half the potato slices in overlapping rows. Dot with half the butter. Sprinkle with half the sage, tarragon, peppers, onion, rice and zucchini. Dot with remaining butter and repeat layering.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; top with tomato slices and cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until tomatoes are warm and cheese is melted. Remove from oven; cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 206 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 4, 2019
OK I did adjust this recipe quite a bit but must give Netty the kudos for creating a great flavor profile. This casserole is delicious! Here's how I changed it. I did not use tomatoes because wanted just the potatoes and zucchini and sage to shine and was afraid the tomato would overpower. I grated and used about 1/2-3/4 c. onion (because hubby hates onion in anything but I wanted the flavor)...other than that I followed the directions until I saw it took 1-1/2 hours. I cooked in Microwave for about 20 minutes and got it good and hot and saw the veggies were starting to cook and then transferred it to the oven. Cooked for about 35-45 minutes. It was so good..served with brats. Definitely will make again!
Dec 7, 2014
Nice variety of vegetables, and a nice change from the usual boring ones. However, my rice came out a little underdone - next time I will try instant rice.
Apr 5, 2013
No comment left
Jan 23, 2010
No comment left