Heavenly Onion Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium sweet Spanish onions, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 to 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 6 to 8 thin slices Swiss cheese (about 4 ounces)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until tender. Place in a 11x7-in. baking dish or 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Combine the soup, milk and soy sauce; pour over cheese. Top with bread and cheese slices. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Loosely cover with foil and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Oct 11, 2012
This is so delicious!
Jun 16, 2012
I initially got this recipe from Southern Living and it's always a winner. Excellent with steaks! A must try.
Jan 23, 2010
My family perks up immediately when they see this casserole on the table. I have served it with just about every meat dish in my repertoire.