Hearty Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen corn (about 5 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups V8 juice
- In a stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots, onions, celery and green pepper until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 105 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Apr 5, 2020
Absolutely delicious. Made the second time and added some rotisserie chicken to add protein and more appeal for the guys in my family. But wonderful as written!
Mar 21, 2020
I use V8 juice in my vegetable beef soup, it really does perk up the flavor, Also add cabbage. Your recipe looks great, putting it into my cookbook, to pull out and make on a chilly day.
Jan 22, 2020
Great recipe. The V8 and spices make it, and there is some flexibility with veggies. Due to what I had on hand, I omitted cabbage and celery, and used an extra can of beans. Family pleaser!
Jan 8, 2020
I could tell by reading this recipe that this soup would be great. My family's personal preferences called for a few changes, though. I left out the cabbage
Oct 20, 2019
Very good comfort food! Taste awesome! Followed recipe took the T and turned out great!
Oct 12, 2019
SO SO good!!! After reading the reviews, I left out the cabbage and added red potatoes. And I used veggie broth instead of water (about 6 cups... to make more broth). Other than that followed the recipe and I thought it was GREAT... not bland as others thought.
Oct 28, 2017
Following the directions completely it was way too much veggies and not enough liquid. After adding more water & a little V8 I added extra salt, pepper, and some Worcestershire. The taste was a little too much on the acidity so I added a little sugar. Better but still a little bland. It needs a little kick and much less veggies
Aug 31, 2017
No comment left
Mar 21, 2017
No comment left
Mar 17, 2017
This is a delicious, low calorie soup. I substituted 6 cups of beef broth and added an extra cup of V8 juice to give it more broth. It upped the servings to 18, so it didn't really change the calories per cup. I also added a 1/2 extra of each spice measurement to balance out the extra liquid used (used garlic salt instead of regular salt) and doubled the garlic. I added garlic salt, Lawry's season salt, pepper, worcestshire and balsamic vinegar to taste.