Hearty Squash Skillet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 small potatoes, diced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onions, green peppers and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add butternut and acorn squash, potatoes, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until potatoes and squash are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheeses; cover and cook until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Feb 26, 2015
I decided to try this to get rid of some of our extra butternut squash, it was maybe a bit better than I imagined, but it wasn't something I would want to make again.
Jan 16, 2011
I would label this as healthy comfort food. I altered the recipe to match the veggies I had on hand (butternut and acorn squash) so I omitted the fresh tomatoes, yellow squash, and zucchini but didn't alter anything else. I am looking forward to trying this in August with those veggies.