Hearty Sausage Minestrone
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrots over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled minestrone in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 372 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1481mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 6, 2016
This is absolutely wonderful! The word "hearty" is completely true to describe this meal. I didn't stray from the recipe since this was my first time to try it. That being said, I can entirely imagine using a variety of spices and bulking the vegetables adding peas and/or substituting green beans for the kidney beans. I am certain we will make this again!
Sep 13, 2016
Amazing, one of the best minestrone soup's I have ever had!
Sep 12, 2016
Unremarkable at best. Carrots and celery stayed crunchy which I didn't like. I've had much better soups from a can.
Apr 9, 2016
Delicious and easy to make. I too did not have the seasoned tomatoes so added one large 28 oz can of diced regular tomatoes, 14 oz of ground tomatoes(my hubby does not like too many chunks) and seasoned with dried basil, dried oregano and 3 cloves of minced garlic.
Oct 6, 2014
Great recipe--I tripled the recipe for a big family reunion this past weekend and it was perfect for a windy, cool fall afternoon. I added extra carrots, celery and onion because I want to oomph up the amount of soup. Very easy to make and delicious! I had some leftover that I froze to enjoy another day, so we look forward to having it again!
Sep 17, 2014
Didn't use the beans, but included everything else. I added a 1/4 tsp each of oregano and basil since my diced tomatoes weren't seasoned. Outstanding recipe!
Sep 16, 2014
Fabulous!!! Very tasty!!