Hearty Cheese Spread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 Gouda cheese round in red wax covering (7 ounces), room temperature
- 1 package (2 ounces) thinly sliced smoked beef, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Apple slices or crackers
- Carefully slice through wax and cheese to within 1 in. of the bottom, forming eight pie-shaped wedges. Carefully fold wax back to expose cheese; remove cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the cheese until creamy. Add the beef, sour cream, relish and horseradish; mix well. Spoon into wax shell. Chill.
- Serve with apple slices or crackers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 81 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 17, 2008
The tricky part is getting the cheese out of the shell. Once that is done the cheese does not get real creamy without adding the sour cream. It is just not a soft enough cheese. I could not find smoke sliced beef so I used dried beef. The result for flavor (very unique)and presention is wonderful.