Hearty Baked Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 slice bread, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, tapioca, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 300 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Oct 7, 2019
This was so easy to make. I used a can of golden mushroom soup instead of the water and added some beef stock also. I would add less pepper next time but it was delicious.
Aug 28, 2019
This has been a favorite recipe in our house for a few years now. Easy prep and delicious results. However, now that I live a low carb/sugar-free life, I've changed the recipe slightly. I leave out the potatoes, tapioca, and bread but add radishes, xantham gum, and less of the carrots. I also add mushrooms and green beans. Still delicious and you won't miss the higher carbs!
Jan 15, 2019
No comment left
Jul 3, 2017
We have fixed this many times and it's perfect everytime!! We love it!!
May 24, 2017
My husband loved it and it was easy to prepare
Mar 2, 2015
Good stew; easy to prepare.
Jan 22, 2014
I use can deer meat and it works just as good.
Mar 21, 2013
Wonderful! Very filling, easy to put together. A great meal all by itself.
Jan 7, 2013
This is an easy way to make stew--I don't even bother to peel the potatoes and they come out just fine. The meat is tender, the veggies all cooked just right. My husband and I both love it. I do cut down on the salt a bit and it still tastes great.
Jan 4, 2013
I found this recipe years ago (about 14 years ago) and loved it! My Mom who hated beef stew loved this recipe. It's not a newly created dish but it is a family favorite here!