Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups finely ground hazelnuts
- Pinch salt
- Chocolate icing, coarsely chopped hazelnuts and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in nuts. In another bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold a small amount into batter until no streaks of white remain; add remaining egg whites.
- Pour into an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely.
- Just before serving, remove sides of pan. If desired, drizzle with icing, sprinkle with nuts and garnish with mint.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use flour.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 170 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 16, 2019
Love this cake. My grandmother used to make this cake and it has always been a favorite of mine. I sometimes will add a tablespoon or two of brewed coffee. Sometimes, I make it without frosting at all - or sometimes with other frostings. I love anything hazelnut!
Jul 1, 2011
Delicious. Suggest lining pan w/parchment paper before baking. Other than that, great recipe. Not as sweet as anticipated - a good thing.