Ham & Swiss Baked Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir in Swiss and Colby cheeses until melted. Add ham and pasta; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over pasta. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 559 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Jul 21, 2020
I made this recipe on a whim to use up some cubed ham I had on hand. I needed to substitute a few ingredients based on what I had in the pantry/fridge but it turned out very well! I used a box of Rotini pasta pronto, substituted the cheeses for an italian blend and a mexican (no spices) blend of shredded cheeses, and crushed ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs because that's all I had. It was really good! I'd make this again.
Jan 2, 2020
Would have given it 5 stars if there was a reference to seasoning. Had I not tasted it before baking it it would have been very flat tasting even with the ham. Added black pepper and garlic seasoning before I baked it - saved the recipe!
Oct 6, 2019
Very tasty casserole, will definitely make this again. Only change I made was to use mozarella cheese in place of the parmesan because I started making this before I realized I was out of parmesan and I added a pack of frozen broccoli and cauliflower. Mozarella worked well
Oct 1, 2019
Made as directed. Very easy meal to put together. We (my husband and I) were able to finish putting away groceries and make dinner at the same time. It worked out well with him stirring the cream/milk mixture while I grated the cheese and cut the ham. I had the opportunity to explain to him why he didn't want to turn up the heat to get it to "boil faster". Glad he was there to help so we could eat sooner. Great meal for cooler weather.
Jun 6, 2019
The only changes I made were using Ziti instead of penne because it’s what I had on hand; a little freshly grated nutmeg to sauce before adding cheese; and stirring in a little butter and Parm. to naked pasta before combining with sauce just because that’s what a always do. Delicious, great flavor and also a great make ahead dish! A definite keeper!
May 1, 2019
Great casserole! It is easy to prepare and that buttery crumb topping is perfect on top! Great family meal!
Mar 7, 2019
This casserole has become one of my family's favorite recipes ever since I cut it out of the TOH magazine several years ago. It is a quick meal to make which is great for busy weeknights. The casserole is very tasty and the seasoned bread crumb topping adds a wonderful flavor. Many times when I make casseroles I will leave off the bread crumb topping because I find it makes the casserole seem dry, but I am so glad that I followed the recipe and added the topping because it really adds a nice flavor without being dry. I definitely recommend this one.