Ham ‘N’ Onion Gravy
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 thick ham slices (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- In a large skillet, brown ham in oil; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ham and mashed potatoes.
Nov 21, 2010
This was just average for us. We didn't like the big pieces of onions in the gravy, so maybe finely dicing them would be better. I thought the gravy was bland, so I added some beef soup base to give it more flavor. It did come together very quickly.
Mar 17, 2009
A simple, tasty recipe that goes together very quickly. I cubed up the onion and ham and stir-fried it, then added the gravy ingredients. So easy I made it twice in a week when I was rushed for time. Would also make a great topping for leftover baked potatoes!