Ham, Broccoli and Orzo Casserole
A kid-pleaser and the perfect comfort food, this gooey orzo casserole is a complete meal in one. For an extra homey touch, I make mine in my favorite hand-me-down casserole dish from my Grandma Laverne. —Heather Arndt Anderson, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring stock to a boil; stir in orzo. Cook, uncovered, until orzo is al dente and broth is absorbed, 8-10 minutes .
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese; cook until cheese is melted.
- Add orzo, ham, broccoli and kale. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with onions and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 637 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1386mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Jul 2, 2020
Apr 28, 2020
Great recipe! I substituted buttered panko crumbs for the French onions and it was delicious. Next time I would omit the added salt as the cheese and chicken broth was enough salt for me.