Ham Balls with Brown Sugar Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup crushed bite-sized Shredded Wheat
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and cereal; crumble ham and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. to 2-in. balls; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Pour over ham balls. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 461 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 801mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 24g protein.
Jan 21, 2014
This is my most requested recipe from my friends and family.
Nov 27, 2013
This was a bit too sweet for my taste. I made them last night, and didn't really care for them. But, this morning I ate one cold and thought they actually would be a nice addition to an appetizer table, served with mustard for dipping. Maybe next time I'll even add a couple of drops of liquid smoke to the sauce.
Jul 27, 2012
My family loves this recipe. It's very good company food. Everyone wants the recipe.
Mar 16, 2012
My family loves this recipe. They look forward to it after Christmas and Easter when we have leftover ham. Add scalloped potatoes, a vegetable and salad and you have a delicious meal everyone will enjoy.
Mar 18, 2011
My son was recently diagnosed with food allergies so I am always looking for creative recipes to keep him satisfied. I substituted a flax seed egg substitute for the eggs, sweetened almond milk for the milk and Rice Chex cereal for the Shredded Wheat cereal. My whole family LOVED this recipe. I had to set out 5 ham balls so that I would have some to pack in his school lunch box the next day. This is definetly a keeper!! Thanks so much Ellen.
Oct 4, 2010
No comment left
Oct 2, 2009
This is the most-requested recipe I have ever made, everyone just loves it.
Jun 11, 2009
This is a family favorite and has been for several years, since I first saw it in TOH. Also is great when shaped into a loaf. The shredded wheat is the key difference in this recipe.
Dec 7, 2008
This was one of the first recipes that I tried from TOH years ago and it has been a family favorite since! Easy to prepare & tastes delicious!
Apr 17, 2008
No comment left