Ham and Potatoes Au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes, cooked
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a greased 1-qt. baking dish, combine potatoes, ham and onion; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, salt and pepper; stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over potato mixture and stir gently to mix.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 872 calories, 59g fat (37g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 2526mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Jul 28, 2020
The flavor was spot on! The directions were quick and easy to follow. The picture is wrong, of course, but I actually decided to go with diced instead of sliced potatoes out of inspiration! They turned out amazing still, and I think this recipe works just as well with diced. One thing... I accidentally used THREE cups of cooked potatoes, so I adjusted the ham and onion a bit higher as well. But, there was WAY too much sauce STILL. Maybe because I used diced and they measured differently? Might try this with sliced next to see if that alleviates the problem. Still delicious, though! Still a keeper recipe!
Dec 5, 2019
Delicious made it exactly as recipe stated and was quite impressed. Very tasty. Will make again.
Jul 20, 2014
This was delish, all I did was add a few more onions. I will be making this again & again.
May 11, 2011
The picture shown does not belong to this recipe. It belongs to Ham 'n' Potato Au Gratin, from Country Woman Jan/Feb 97,pg.35.
Jan 19, 2010
Loved it! For the finely chopped onion, I chopped the tops of a whole green onion - Added color and flavor. Very easy to make.