Ham and Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, bring ham bone and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove ham bone. To broth, add the lentils, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until lentils and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove ham from bone; coarsely chop. Add the ham, sausage and parsley to soup; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 23, 2020
This is my absolute favorite soup! The ham hock broth is rich and tasty and the lentils, veggies and herbs make it SO healthy but still delicious! I use stewed tomatoes and add some spicy sausage, as I prefer more meat than the ham hocks provide. It's wonderful with oregano and parsley from the garden.
Apr 15, 2020
Wonderful soup! I used an italian stewed tomatoes and Italian sweet suasage and the rest of the ingredients of the recipe,!!! Boy, it is delicious and a keeper.. Now i know what to do with the leftover ham from Easter. Was so easy to make.
Nov 19, 2019
Delicious soup! I used 1 pound of Jimmy Dean sausage. I didn’t have ham or ham bone, So I used 32 oz of beef broth and 24 oz of water for the stock. I used the rest of the ingredients included in the recipe. It was easy to make and very tasty!!
Jun 2, 2019
I used a no bone ham cut up, put the lentils in beef broth with the ham added the green onion, garlic powder, celery salt, black pepper (cause that's all I had). Brought to a boil, cooked for 30min and the last 10 minutes added frozen peas and carrots. Thanks for helping me find something to eat that was quick and tasty
Dec 27, 2018
Great way to use leftover holiday ham! Also, lower in carbs than split pea soup.
May 10, 2016
Excellent! I never thought to make a ham broth , but it would work with any type of beans.
Dec 6, 2015
I made this just as the recipe states, except that I had such a large, meaty ham bone that I doubled everything except the sausage. It was delicious! I will definitely make this soup again.
Apr 11, 2015
This was very delicious. I used 32 oz. chicken broth instead of water. Instead of using tomatoes, I used 3 tomatillos and an additional 28 oz. of chicken broth. Instead of the pork sausage I substituted Italian sausage which gave the dish a yummy zing. I put all the ingredients into the crockpot and cooked it on low for 10 hours. Delicious!!!
Jan 5, 2015
Great soup. I added drop dumplings
Oct 15, 2013
Wonderful recipe. Made some changes - used pork roast instead of ham, omitted the tomatoes & sausage. It still tasted great. Hubby raved over it, so I guess I'll be making more! Thanks for the recipe.