Ham and Bean Chowder
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Cook: 2 hours + chilling
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. In the same kettle, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add beans, ham bone, water, broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, cloves and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove ham bone, bay leaves and cloves. When cool enough to handle, remove ham from bone; cut into small pieces and return to soup. Chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Skim fat from soup. Stir in milk; cool on low until heated through. Just before serving, stir in cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Aug 5, 2020
I abhor beans of any kind. Made this for my husband. Ate 2 huge bowls, with cornbread of course. Now I can't wait for winter so I can make this all the time, not that anything is wrong with making it in the summer.
Jan 10, 2018
Very good. My store was out of dried white beans so I used 2 cans instead but I thought it needed more. I added carrots also cuz I had in fridge. Definitely will make again.
Nov 11, 2017
This is a terrific soup to serve on a cold winter day.My family loves the combination of ham and beans.
Jan 30, 2017
No comment left
Jul 22, 2013
This was so simple and tasty. My family really loved the thick creaminess of the soup. I can't think of anything I would change.
Jul 14, 2013
No comment left
Mar 18, 2013
I have been making this for years and everyone always asks for the recipe
Sep 8, 2012
Nice and creamy and very satisfying. Looking forward to making it again this winter.
Aug 14, 2012
By far the best bean soup recipe ever!
Dec 22, 2011
This was my first try at any homemade bean soup. So easy to make, and such great flavor.I did 'tweek' this recipe, as I had 2 ham bones and used more onion and garlic than called for. I also threw in 2 beef bouillon cubes, and of course, some ex-tra cheese. I also used some bacon fat instead of butter. Yes.. all my 'tweeks' added to the over all fat content, but my husband and I eat only small portions, along with a sandwich and salad... a wonderfully tasty complete meal.I highly recommend this recipe.PEACE