Halibut Soft Tacos
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup cubed avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pound halibut steaks (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 4 teaspoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the mango, avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, 2 teaspoons oil, lemon juice and honey; set aside. Brush halibut with remaining oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill halibut on greased rack, covered, over high heat or broil 3-4 in. from the heat until fish flakes easily with a fork, 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Place lettuce leaves on tortillas; top with fish and mango mixture. Drizzle with chili sauce.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 taco with 1/3 cup mango mixture : 330 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 8, 2013
These were a surprise hit with my family. Very light and refreshing. Great summer recipe.
Oct 10, 2012
Good. Didn't use chili sauce. Topped with sour cream and Mexican red sauce.
Mar 18, 2011
Yum, yum. Skipped the Thai chili sauce, used corn tortillas, and ate the leftover salsa the next day. I made this recipe twice in three days. Delicious!
Feb 25, 2011
I loved the idea of this recipe, but it seemed a little flat-tasting when I made it. So I added juice from a whole lime, a little salt (maybe 1/4 tsp) and some fresh ginger (1 T). Awesome! This will be a summer favorite!
Jan 27, 2011
does anyone know if the nutrition information includes the taco shells?
Jul 19, 2010
Tasty! I used jarred jalapenos and white onions. Used a whole avocado, I'm not quite sure how many to use for half a cup but the salsa came out almost like a guacamole.
Jul 18, 2010
Took the advice of fellow reviewers and skipped the chili sauce. These are FANTASTIC! Very summer-y and restaurant-quality taste profile.
Jul 17, 2010
This is DELICIOUS! Such a refreshing summer dish. Love the Mango and Avocado in it.
Jun 30, 2010
These are simply amazing! Only reason I didn't rate 5 stars is because I forgot the chili sauce! We used cod since it was less expensive and white onion instead of red. I also substituted lime juice for lemon...the lime was a good compliment to the mango! My 5 and 2 year old loved them too!
Jun 30, 2010
We loved them. We did use the Thai Chili Sauce. It is not a really hot sauce, it is more sweet than hot. I personally prefered the tacos without the Chili Sauce. I felt it covered up the wonderful flavors of the Mango Salsa.